2009/06/03

C’est une belle journée

I had listened to the song long before I watched the vid, but I never thought that Mylène Farmer would have sketched all this by herself. And it cost like, a whopping 120,000 € just to get it in its animated form, beat that... Also, this is a song which has a double meaning to it : one talks about literal sleep after a beautiful day, the other talks about suicide when nothing seems to be beautiful.

The title of the song literally translates to "It's a Beautiful Day". Wanna know more ?




Farmer sings :


Allongé le corps est mort
Pour des milliers c'est un homme qui dort
A moitié pleine est l'amphore
C'est à moitié vide qu'on la voit sans effort
Voir la vie, son côté pile
Oh philosophie, dis-moi des élégies
Le bonheur, lui me fait peur
D'avoir tant d'envies
Moi j'ai un souffle à cœur
Aussi

REFRAIN :
C'est une belle journée
Je vais me coucher
Une si belle journée
Qui s'achève
Donne l'envie d'aimer
Mais je vais me coucher
Mordre l'éternité
À dents pleines
C'est une belle journée
Je vais me coucher
Une si belle journée
Souveraine
Donne l'envie de paix
Voir des anges à mes pieds
Mais je vais me coucher
M'faire la belle

Allongé le corps est mort
Pour des milliers
C'est un homme qui dort...
A moitié pleine est l'amphore
C'est à moitié vide
Que je la vois encore
Tout est dit puisqu'en amour
Si c'est du lourd
LeSi le cœur est léger
Des élégies toujours
Les plaisirs, les longs, les courts
Vois-tu en amour
Moi, j'ai le souffle court
Vois-tu
(au refrain)

Belle
La vie est belle
Comme une aile
Qu'on ne doit froisser
Belle
La vie est belle
Et je vais là
Belle
La vie est belle
Mais la mienne
Un monde emporté
Elle, j'entre en elle
Et mortelle, va
(au refrain)


And here's a rough (albeit literal) translation of the lyrics :


Lying down, the body is dead # For thousands of others, it's a man who sleeps # The amphora (could it be the glass ?) is half-full # We see it half-empty # Rather effortlessly # Seeing life at the lower end # Oh philosophy, recite me elegies (now, this could very well be an indicator of suicide) # Happiness makes me afraid # To have many wishes # (I can't seem to be able to translate this line, Moi j'ai un souffle à cœur - even the French themselves are finding it difficult. It literally translates to "I've got breath to the heart" or summat.) # Also


CHORUS : It's a beautiful day # I'll lay me down # Such a beautiful day # Which meets its end # Give me the desire to love # But I'll lay me down # Take a bite at eternity # With the whole mouth # It's a beautiful day # I'll lay me down # Such a beautiful day # Sovereign ? (Now, I know souveraine was supposed to refer to the day, and they use the word "sovereign" if it's something like, really big) # Give me the desire to have peace # See angels at my feet # Now I'll lay me down # And give myself a beautiful thing


Lying down, the body is dead # For thousands of others, it's a man who sleeps # The amphora is half-full # We see it half-empty # Yet again # It all has been said since, in love # If it's too heavy # And if the heart is light # (You'll hear nothing but) elegies always # Happy moments, long ones, short ones # Do you see that in love # I have a short breath # Do you see that (repeat chorus)


BRIDGE : Beautiful # Life is beautiful # Like a wing # That no one should wreck/crumple (as in tissue crumple) # Beautiful # Life is beautiful # And I'm going there # Beautiful # Life is beautiful # But mine is # A world taken away # I enter into it # And go, a mortal (person) (repeat chorus)




This song, along with the video, gives me an idea for a song I had written some three or four years ago (music only, not lyrics) : I just codenamed it Sur mon petit livre (On my little book) - or should it be Dans mon petit livre (In my little book) ? Anyhow, here's what I can reveal for the moment on that song : it's in C minor, in triple time, and since it's talking about a book and drawings, it'd most likely feature a sketchbook. For those of you who have played Final Fantasy X-2, or listened to the soundtrack, look out for the song Eternity (or Kuon, or whatever it's called) : listen to the chords. I'll be using the same chord progression for the most part of the song, so that should make it easier.


I've kept a number of drawings of mine (and I've even digitised some of them) and I'm planning to do a few more. I'm thinking of featuring Espoir in that song. I dream big, don't I ? That thing shall be animated, yes, but it'll also go through lots of drawings - dark ones, sad ones, happy and hopeful ones, sceneries - I know it's going to cost an arm and a leg to get this thing done (look at Farmer's video !) But I'll keep every single drawing - because I never know. If the time comes that I can afford to pay for the cost of designing the music video, or if someone's willing to bear the cost, what a relief that'll be !

Speaking of which, here's my second sketch, which I did entirely using coloured pencils (no pencil sketches) :


I'm codenaming this "Crépuscule", meaning "twilight". Take a good look at the picture, and tell me what you make of it.

No comments: